Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Huntington Beach: Some Days It's Not That Bad

I whine a lot.

"I hate Orange County," you'll hear me snivel. "Why can't we move now?" I'll whine in an annoying tone ask the Bean in an adult, mature fashion. "Other people seem to manage to survive in Montana, or Colorado. Why not us?"

"'We'll get there," The Bean says in a distracted tone, having been through this particular whinefest scintillating conversation a million times before.

I pout on my way to work, ignoring the beautiful drive down PCH as I feel sorry for myself.





When Becky was in SoCal land: Let poor Becky go,
Oppress'd so hard she could not stand, Let poor Becky go.

Go down, Becky, Way down in SoCal land,
Tell old Pharaoh,
Let poor Becky go.





It's no secret that I want to move.

There are too many people.

It's crowded.

There's too much concrete.

There are too many buildings. I hate the traffic. I hate the city life. I hate living ten feet from my neighbors. I'm scared my sons will grow up and start wearing skinny jeans like the other idiots handsome young men of this city.

I feel like I can't breathe.

Most days, I feel like I'm in the middle of a prison sentence, just doing my time until I can earn my way to freedom.










However.






Every once in awhile, it's not that bad.
















When the weather's just right,












and the tourists are all gathered somewhere else,










and you feel like you might have a moment's solitude...










It's actually quite beautiful.










And as I watch my son racing along the sand, I realize that when I do move........



I think I might miss it, just a little.








Because on certain days, living in Huntington Beach is a pretty nice place to be.






Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger AareneX said...

Can I come visit you?

In February?

I promise, I won't bring more than one dog. Well, maybe two dogs. Three dogs at the most.

August 17, 2011 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Aarene -


That will make six dogs. In one small house.

With a two year old who can't seem to understand the concept, "FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING, WE DO NOT KICK DOGS!"

Maybe you can bring your horses instead?

August 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM  
Anonymous Bad Pants said...

If I lived in LA, it would slowly kill me. If I lived in Huntington Beach, I'd probably never want to leave. The fact that those two things aren't mutually exclusive must be torture for someone actually in that position.

August 18, 2011 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger JJ said...

The only places I've stayed in California were Laguna Beach and Dana Point. I was only there for a week, but I left thinking it was the most beautiful place in the country. I did not, however, like the traffic or copious amounts of people. ;)

August 18, 2011 at 7:40 AM  
Blogger Dom said...

Hmmm... Montana or Colorado... get out of my head!

August 22, 2011 at 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home