Monday, July 9, 2012

Xerox the Cat

So, here's a little update on our new cat...because, honestly, as much time as this cat spends at our house, it's pretty obvious that this is its new home.

As you can tell from the title, the cat has a name already: Xerox.  Get it?  Xerox....because it's such a carbon copy of Coyote?  A copycat?  Get it?

Ha.  Ha, ha, ha, ha.

Yeah, that's how we roll around here.  We cool like that, homedog.

Sorry, sorry.  I know.  I'm entirely too white to even joke around like that.  My bad.

Anyways, don't worry, I'll still like you, even if you're not nearly as cool as I am in coming up with pet names.


I will say that I definitely, absolutely, positively did not actively seek this cat out as our new pet simply because the name came so easily to us... yeah, I totally didn't do that.  Nope.


Anyways, back to Xerox - someone obviously loved this animal at one point.  This is not a feral cat.

Not only did Xerox wander right into the house, completely comfortable with things like furniture, noisy kids toys, flushing toilets and whatnot, but, well, look:







It's obvious someone loved this cat before - probably someone with kids:








I think that's why Xerox's condition makes me so sad - this cat is skin and bones.  If it were a horse, it would be a 1.5 on the Henneke scale.


Also, this cat is not an it.  After closer examination (and trust me, this is no easy feat on a black cat) Xerox is not a neutered male.





Xerox is a pregnant female. 





I know, I know.  Laugh it up.  Well, at least I'm already married.  I don't think you can be a crazy cat lady if you're already married, right? 

It tears my heart out to pet her...she's just so stinking skinny.  You can't really see it because of her fur, but as soon as you touch her you can feel it.  I don't like to pet her down the back, because the individual knobs of her vertebrae or pressed so tightly against the skin that it creeps me out.  Her paws look too big for her because there's so little flesh on her legs, and every joint on her body can be visibly seen - even through the dark hair.... which is saying something, because black hair, like a winter coat on a horse, hides a lot.

It does my heart good to see her eat - and it's both gratifying and a bit depressing to see how much weight she's put on in three days of eating regularly.


Anyways, I'm hoping I'm wrong about the pregnancy, even though I don't think I am. She hasn't run puking to my toilet, or complained of swollen ankles, but her belly is really round and tight as a drum - much larger than it should be for her emaciated state, and her nipples are pinking up a bit.  I've been around a pregnant cat or two in my life, and the pinking nipples is more of a surefire sign than any round belly.  Sigh.


Oh, great.   I just realized I'm going to get web traffic from people searching for nipples.  Well, in for a penny, in for a pound.  I've been on a Haiku fix lately, so I might as well do it right:


Nipples, nipples, sex
Kim Kardashian nipples
Nipples, nipples, sex



There.  Now if you came to my blog through any of those search terms.... Quit it.  Seriously.  Quit it.  It's just sex.  Get over it, and go do something more productive with your day.


What was I saying?


Oh, I don't remember.  Here.  Here's a picture of both cats on our front porch. 







Now if you'll excuse me, DragonMonkey lovingly redecorated Squidgelet's room with an entire bottle of baby powder yesterday, and I get to go finish cleaning it up.



9 Comments:

Blogger Bif said...

SO, when you take her to the vet for preggers appropriate deworming, will you have them scan for a microchip? Seems unlikely since she is, you know, preggers, but I suppose she could have escaped and gotten lost and got skinny, and...

July 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger sahara4d said...

I think that Xerox found you just in time! Love the name by the way. Hope she delivers healthy kittens but not too soon...she needs more time to fatten up.

July 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

You know a great place to rehome a bunch of adorable black kittens? Endurance ride! Show for best condition, win a kitten. It's that simple.

July 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM  
Blogger lytha said...

it's amazing to me that the cats seem to be getting along with each other. i wish i had a lap cat, ours is way too skittish.

July 10, 2012 at 3:18 AM  
Blogger Heila said...

Congratulations on your new cat(s)! My family did that once - adopted a cat who turned out to be pregnant when my dad took her to be spayed. My mom always said she doesn't want kittens, but she spent all 6 weeks of the summer holidays that year with a leg in plaster, and the kitties amused my 6 year old brother.

July 10, 2012 at 3:35 AM  
Blogger Justaplainsam said...

Well at least she is very friendly and good with the kids!

When my brother was DM's age he filled my plastic doll carriage with an entire bag of flower, until the carriage broke and "poof". All over the kitchen :) I think its a boy thing.

July 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger mugwump said...

Kittens as awards? Now there's an endurance ride with too many scratches. Get it? Kittens? Scratches? Man oh man, I just kill myself sometimes.

July 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xerox is a great name, and you're so cool I have to put on a sweater to read this blog.

July 11, 2012 at 4:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Will you name all the kittens? That way they will absolutely get new homes.

It's remarkable that your other cat accepted this one. They are so territorial. You've raised him right.

July 18, 2012 at 4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home