Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Portland


I keep trying to finish my several half-written blog posts.

But then I look out my front yard:





And I find myself unable to unpack another box, much less sit down in front of my computer.


So I take the kids to the park:























Sometimes I head downtown and go to the park by the river:









And, well, once I'm there I can't help but explore a little:











And maybe even walk along the river a bit:










When I get home, I realize I really ought to take advantage of the good weather and work a little on our rock wall.

After being left unattended for six months, the vegetation around our new house went a little wild.

When we arrived, we found this instead of a rock wall:











The green in Oregon doesn't mess around.  It's kind of like The Blob from the 1950s horror film- whatever it touches, it swallows up.

At any rate, the green was pretty, but not very good for the wall, so it had to come down.  After a day or two (working around the rainy days), we've made some progress at beating back the bush:






Slowly but surely, we're getting there.

I even found a new friend while trimming back the ivy:










Is that, or is that not the creepiest root you've ever seen?

I've decided he can stay.  I've named him Siegfried, and he's now the official guardian of the wall.

I'm not the only one who found a friend.  The DragonMonkey found a caterpillar while we were out trying to reclaim our property, and became immediately enthralled.










He named him Green.   "Gween the Caterpiwder".  He played with him for well over an hour, trying to feed him leaves, giving him kisses, and singing him songs.  According to him, Gween was his "fwiend", and "I wuv my fwiend."  It took a pretty good song and dance on our part to convince him to release him back into the wild.  We have got to get that boy a bug cage.

Speaking of fun things to do, when the boys get a little older I think I'm going to spend a summer working on a treehouse.  There are the remains of an abandoned one in the tree in my front yard, and every time I look at it I get ideas:








Can you see why I'm having trouble going back inside?


Even when I do make it inside it's hard to stay focused. 


Take a look at the view from my bathroom window:








Seriously--- that is the exact view from my bathroom window.  I know that because I took it with my camera phone as I was sitting on the toilet going pee sat quietly in my bathroom and pondered how elegant and feminine I am.


Of course, I don't spend all my time out exploring or working in the yard.

Sometimes I just sit on my front porch:







I have the world's most incredible front porch.  If it weren't for the Oregon mosquitoes which seem to think that I am the tastiest little morsel in the universe, I would drag my bed out onto the porch and just live there.  The photos on the internet showed a tiny, bland little porch - boy, was I surprised.  The porch is much larger than it appeared at first glance, the railing fits my heiny perfectly.


 I know it's the middle of summer and that the weather is great and that I'm seeing Portland at its best, I can't get over just how much I've fallen in love with this state when I haven't even been here a week.  There is just so much to see, and so many places to explore.  When I open my front door I can smell green things growing, and rich soil, and clean, fresh air.

I can feel my blood pressure even out, and my pulse drop, and the knots in my neck relax.

We're drawing up the plans for a chicken coop for the backyard, and on Saturday (weather permitting) I get to drive out and visit Scandia Morgan Horse farm.


Man, I love this state.





21 Comments:

Blogger Veronica Foale said...

It looks gorgeous. And green! There is so much green!

June 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM  
Blogger AareneX said...

Punkin, it's just the beginning of summer. Throw away the calendar they taught you in elementary school, because here the seasons are:

Summer: last part of June (maybe), July, August, first part of September (maybe)
Fall: September, October
Winter: November, December, January, February, March, April, first part of May (maybe)
Spring: end of May (maybe)

The rain goes year 'round, with a bit of break in August. If you put off doing things until it stops raining, your family will starve and your house will be overcome by blackberry brambles so thick that it will require the fire department to come and cut you a path to safety. Not exaggerating.

Stock up on Sunshine while you can! Portland is the outer edge of the Swamp, but it doesn't get much more sky-vitamin-D than we do--which is why the natives are out-of-doors every possible second in June, topping up their biological solar batteries!

There's a reason it's so green here....

June 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM  
Blogger Albigears said...

Beautiful!!!

June 7, 2012 at 12:22 AM  
Blogger lytha said...

did you go to the gas station yet? as many times as i bought gas in oregon, i was always felt awkward. the last time i saw the guy see my washington plates and i said, "yes, i'd like to buy some gas?" and he said, "sorry, we only sell pizza here."

i wouldn't mind living in oregon someday - they have so many nice endurance rides, and the prettiest pacific beaches.

i sure miss the smell of the PNW.

my man and i will be driving down there in august. maybe we can hook up?

i'm so happy you have a gorgeous jungle-like yard.

~lytha
p.s. please be careful about caterpillars - some have poison in their hair and i've suffered from playing with them.

June 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Lytha: I'm working on a "Things That Are Strange About Oregon" blogpost - and that one is topping the list. It really weirds me out.

Poisonous caterpillars, now that I know about it, might also make the list.

Also, if you make it all the way over here and we don't get a chance to meet, I shall be highly disappointed! I do have to warn I'm a little more boring in person than via internet - I think better with a keyboard under my hands :/

Aarene: That's the downside to arriving in summer - I feel like I haven't earned my wings. When people ask me how I like it, and I say I love it, they mutter, "Talk to me in two years...."

I imagine I won't be quite as enthralled, but.... THERE ARE GREEN THINGS! GREEN THINGS IN MY VERY OWN FRONT YARD! AND I *HAVE* A YARD!

Speaking of brambles, large ugly rosebushes (with no actual flowers) a-la-Sleeping Beauty have taken over the hill behind our house :( Not sure what to do about that.

June 7, 2012 at 6:45 AM  
Blogger JJ said...

BECKY!!!!

You moved to Oregon? How awesome is that?!

It's like you're living on Walden's pond, only without the pond. That's how I imagine it to look anyway, green, grassy, slightly overgrown...wild, but in a perfectly wonderful sort of a way.

I can't wait to read about Scandia!!!

June 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM  
Blogger Laura Crum said...

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new life. Get those chickens. I have banties and they are endlessly entertaining. Plus they will raise their own babies. Most laying hens won't.

June 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM  
Blogger Half Dozen Farm said...

"The middle of summer" Ha, ha, ha!!! Sorry, but it's not summer yet! And the roses aren't blooming on your hill, 'cause it's not summer yet! VBG! :)
I'm so glad you all got to your new house and got settled in all right. One question has been nagging at me all week though... Did you remember to wave at me when you drove past Exit 119? LOL!
I can't wait for your "Strange Things" post. It's always funny to hear what other people think about the things that we think are "normal."

June 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Not only did I wave at you, I took a picture of the exit, and then actually pulled off at exit 120 and let the kids stretch their legs and have a quick breakfast at the McDonald's down the road. :)

June 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM  
Blogger Half Dozen Farm said...

Oh my gosh! You did not!!! I feel like I've been visited by a celebrity! LOL! How weird is that???

June 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger Justaplainsam said...

Fantastic Photos!

June 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I did - and trust, me, no celebrity here! :P

On a side note - WOW, IT'S GORGEOUS WHERE YOU LIVE. I liked your area, and the Ashland area. It's gorgeous where I live, but that area reminded me of Montana, in all the best ways.

I tried taking a picture of your really cute little streetlights, but the light turned green too fast. I'd never seen streetlights hanging on a wire before - it was awesome!

Also, the DragonMonkey went a little nuts when we crossed your train tracks. He approves of them.

June 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger Half Dozen Farm said...

I'm glad you liked our little podunk area. After living in Texas, I appreciate the beauty a lot more than I did growing up. I've always liked Ashland too, but it's a "hippy" town. LOL! We are a lot drier here than Portland and even Eugene. Our hills around here turn brown in the summer, so it doesn't stay as pretty.

I've never thought about the street lights on the wire. Thought they were normal! LOL, that is so funny! I cross those tracks every day - my kids like them too. :)
Wish we could have met (though I imagine you were trying to get going).

June 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM  
Blogger CG said...

I thought streetlights on a wire were normal too!!

Wait, I was REALLY mad when we got our first street light in town, and refused to go that way for quite a while:)

June 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM  
Blogger Funder said...

Very happy for you, and I totally understand your temporary inability to write. :)

June 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM  
Blogger mugwump said...

I want to hear about the Morgans!

June 8, 2012 at 4:43 AM  
Blogger Peanut said...

Becky, you're probably not in the market yet, but this Morgan mare is looking for a home:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151185182789554&set=a.10150943309619554.528088.327404694553&type=1&theater

June 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Oh, Peanut. That's just mean. I really like her.

Unfortunately, it's just not in the cards for us for at least 12 months, and probably closer to a year and a half :(

Which just sucks, because yeah, I really, really like her.

I wonder if they need any volunteers? I might send them a note :)

June 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Peanut said...

Sorry for being mean Becky! You'll find the right horse when the time is right.

SEO is a great organization - they would probably appreciate volunteers.

Congratulations on your new house! I wish I lived in a more rural area.

June 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger CT said...

Congrats on your move!
Be careful around the morgans, they will pull you into a whirlpool of 'this is nice I am never going home'

June 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Half Dozen - there's no way for me to get ahold of you (blogger doesn't link an email?), but I'll be driving past your exit again this weekend - and probably stopping at the McDonald's in your area. Shoot me an email if you want to hang out while the kids burn off energy before the long drive back :)

August 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home