Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Least Favorite Part of Oregon

Eenie, meenie, miney, Mo

How far can poison oak rash go?

Scratch at night until it bleeds,

I hate that stupid $#%!@! weed.



Blogger Wanderlust said...

LOL! Sorry to laugh at your expense, but love a concise and witty little poem!

April 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Wanderlust said...

Reminds me of this from my youth:

I hate that f*cking Haley's comet
It makes me sick, I want to vomit

April 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger AareneX said...

We don't have poison oak up here. Not poison ivy, either. It's too cold/wet/sopping miserable/dark/nastified and dank.

We have blackberries. And you don't exactly stumble accidentally into blackberry brambles. Plus there's the whole thing about blackberries...you know, the part about how the plant produces berries?

Just sayin'.

April 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM  
Blogger Half Dozen Farm said...

I just have one question...

How on earth did you catch poison oak this time of year??? It's not even leafed out yet!

Just curious... :)

My two step-daughters are very allergic to it. Their rash swells up and gets nasty. Our pediatrician prescribed us a big tube of some type of steroid cream to keep on hand because we kept having to take them in for poison oak. I can't remember what it's called, but if you're interested, I can let you know. It clears up the rash in about two uses (two days), and we've had the tube for a few years now.

Here's a tip: after you've been out and around poison oak, take a warm shower and wash all over really well with dish washing soap (like Dawn). It cuts the oil from the poison oak (which is what gives you the rash). It really does help a lot.

good Luck!

April 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger ORSunshine said...

But Aarene! You have nettle, which can be just as bad!

Becky, if you know you've been in poison oak, rinse with rubbing alcohol before you do anything else. The alcohol cuts the oils. Or get some of this soap: http://www.amazon.com/Poison-Ivy-Soap-Urushiol-Invisible/dp/B002Z46MTW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1365651838&sr=8-9&keywords=poison+oak+soap

April 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

As far as I can tell - and this is me just playing Sherlock:

1. Artemis must have found a batch of it on the hillside by our house - I know there is some up there, so it's the most likely culprit.

2. She brought it into the house with her, where:

3. I pet her (or she rubbed it on my jacket, or something).

4. I then transferred it to my sheets.

It took me FOREVER to figure out I was infecting myself from the inside of my jacket sleeves and on my sheets.

Also, I found two new spots on me today, so it seems like there's some other place in the house, too.

Half Dozen: I am VERY interested in that product. I got some on my leg this summer, and I had some sort of allergic reaction to it - my whole leg became red, and hard, and very swollen around the rash.

Aarene: Seattle's sounding nicer and nicer.

April 10, 2013 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger Doranna Benker Gilkey said...

Zanfel- it works. Spend the money, then follow the directions exactly.

Poison oak sucks!

April 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home