Thursday, September 11, 2014

Today is September 11th

Today is September 11th.

Do you know what I'm thinking about right now?

Holy crap, I have to run a half marathon in 10 days. I'm so under-prepared that it's not comical, it's just sad.  I'm probably going to hurt myself.  Oh well... To Finish is To Win, right?

Speaking of winning, or rather not-winning...I didn't get a chance to shower after my run this morning.  In fact, I didn't even have time to change out of my workout clothes before I dropped off the DragonMonkey at kindergarten, Squid at daycare, and then me at work..  I hope I don't smell. There's a shower here - I wonder if it would be weird if I used it?  I mean, I do the laundry anyways, so I could wash my towel, and nobody would be the wiser....

But if I took a shower, then I'd have to get dressed back into my gross workout clothes again... and that might feel even nastier.

Today is September 11th, and do you know what I'm doing this evening?

Well, I am getting off work at 5. I need to pick up the kids by 5:10 at the very latest - the daycare lady has a back-to-school thingie she needs to attend for her own kid.  How am I supposed to leave at 5 and then have the kids out of her house by 5:10? I swear it takes them 10 minutes just to put on their shoes. Maybe I can leave a few minutes early?

Oh, man, I really need to get to WinCo tonight, too.  I haven't gone since I last humiliated myself, and I had to break down and go to Safeway this morning.  I spent $30 and bought got two small bags of groceries.  If I spent $30 at WinCo I'd walk away with at least five bags of groceries.

But wait, crap... I told the boys I'd take them to go see the How to Train Your Dragon 2 at the cheap theaters tonight... do I have time to make it to WinCo and back by the 7pm showing?  Probably not.  Ugh, I wish the day had more hours in it.

It's September 11th, and I really need to do a load of black clothes - we're totally out of socks, and my running pants could probably stand up and run away on their own.  Heck, maybe I have done a load of blacks, and it's just sitting there, squashed, at the bottom of the gigantic mountain of clean-but-unfolded laundry I've been doing my best to ignore.  I hate laundry.  I'm 33 years old and it's the bane of my existence.  That must mean I have a pretty good life... but that doesn't make me hate it any less.

It's September 11th, and thirteen years ago I had to force myself to move past the cold queasiness that burned a leaden hole in my stomach.  Today I continue my annual tradition of boring things, and every year it's easier, .

Don't get me wrong - I fully support the memorials and the remembrances and the honoring of the people who died that day.

But for me?








For me, every September 11th is all about mundane, boring, inconsequential tasks.  I know my passive-aggressive indifference doesn't actually accomplish anything, but it makes me feel better. I consider it my way of giving a giant middle finger (or two) to everything Al Qaeda did that day.

What's that?  Oh, that's right.  It's the anniversary of that day again, isn't it?  That day you killed yourself and murdered thousands of innocents in a spectacular fashion in order to try to get some kind of point across?  Huh?  I'm sorry, I can't really remember what that point of all that was, just that all those deaths were really sad.  Hey, do you have any gluten-free flour I could borrow?  My barn owner's husband is sick, and he's Celiac too, and I want to make him a loaf of zucchini/blueberry gluten free bread.  It's amazing - you should try it...

Oh, crap, that's right.  I can't borrow flour from you - you aren't alive anymore. You died trying to send some kind of message of hate which was supposed to drastically alter my way of life, didn't you?  I totally forgot about you.  Whoops.  How embarrassing for both of us.  Anyways, would you look at the time?  If I'm going to make that loaf of bread I really need to stop by Safeway and grab some Bob's Red Mills gluten-free flour.  I bet it's going to be $6 for the world's tiniest bag.  There goes this week's grocery budget.  Man, I wish I had time to get to WinCo today.


In case you're curious, here's the Blueberry Zucchini Bread recipe  - I shamelessly stole it from allrecipes.com.  It's amazing, and if you want to make it gluten-free all you have to do is substitute in gluten-free flour instead of regular flour.  Also, you definitely want to add some xantham gum to your gluten free flour - it makes everything bind together so it's nice and light and fluffy. Just check the side of the bag for how much to use - there's a chart there.

Also, if you're super sensitive, make sure you purchase gluten-free vanilla extract.  I don't know what is in there that makes some people react, but it can cause problems.

I made two delicious loaves with this recipe.  I can't recommend it enough!

Blueberry Zucchini Bread
recipe image
Rated:rating
Submitted By: LAUJRA
Photo By: dabblingdiva
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 45 Minutes
Servings: 12
"Blueberries and zucchini baked up into delicious little summertime bread loaves!"
INGREDIENTS:
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups white sugar
2 cups shredded zucchini
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 pint fresh blueberries
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 4 mini-loaf pans.
2.In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to the prepared mini-loaf pans.
3.Bake 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2014 Allrecipes.comPrinted from Allrecipes.com 9/11/2014

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you. I think I will go fill my day with my family and love and zucchini bread.

September 11, 2014 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger mugwump said...

Like

September 11, 2014 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Snipe said...

Thanks for the recipe. I went gluten-free as an experiment to try and solve some digestive turmoil. I feel better, but also kind of sad, because I do so love pasta and bread.

I agree with you. The best thing we can do today is to carry on with our lives.

September 11, 2014 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger 2 Punk Dogs said...

Love this post! I remember driving to pick up some drums on 9/11 that were needed for a concert on the Saturday after. We didn't know if planes would be flying or which musicians would make it but we said F it and got all the gear together anyway. Bands drove for 2 days to get there, it was amazing how many people showed up.

I think it helped us get our butts in gear - we got married the next July, bought a house the year after and I went back to school after we fixed most of the house. :)

September 11, 2014 at 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home