Monday, March 5, 2012

One Day....

One day I will be able to train a horse like this....











Awww... who am I kidding?  I sincerely doubt I'll ever get to being this level of a horseperson.  I'm sort of okay with that.  If I can get to half this good I'll consider it an accomplishment.

Seriously, for those of you who don't know what the Extreme Mustang Makeover challenge is, here are the basics:

The competitors arrive at the BLM stockyards with an empty trailer.

They run a wild, half-crazed with fear mustang through ramps and into the trailer. 

The competitor then has three months to train it to:

  • Accept a human's presence without flipping out
  • Accept a human's touch without flipping out
  • Accept basic care like farrier work and haltering without flipping out
  • Accept a halter, saddle, bridle and all that entails without flipping out
  • Accept a rider and basic training without flipping out
And then you have this guy, who added things like bull whips and sliding stops and flaming rings of fire - you know... just simple stuff like that on top of domesticating a completely wild horse.


If I had a hat, I'd be taking it off.  Well done, sir!


Oh, wait... I need another hat. I need to take it off for this guy, too:





Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jamethiel said...

I am still sick and drugged, so I cried while watching both of these videos. You can tell the horses trust their trainer-that's not something that can be beaten in, it has to be trained and won.
Also, I have a surprise for you Becky. Depending on your move date, guess what is in Albay the last weekend of June????
http://www.extrememustangmakeover.com/emmoregon.php

Just a hint hinty hint!

March 5, 2012 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger Justaplainsam said...

WOW both are great trainers!

March 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since we're wishin' here, I wish I could ride half as well as either one of them. And I'd be happy just to get any horse trained to walk, trot and canter that well in 3 months. You need to move up there in time to go see that show.

March 6, 2012 at 6:26 AM  
Blogger mugwump said...

Dear Becky,
The ONLY reason you cannot accomplish these goals is because you, just like me, would poke yourself in the eye with the pole, then wrap the cracking whip around your neck and choke yourself while trying to remember to clap rhythmically to the music.

March 6, 2012 at 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home