Sunday, August 8, 2010

Meet the Herd



I'm so sunburned I'm pretty sure I just gave myself skin cancer.

I'm so exhausted I'm nauseous, and I'm so sore that when I walk it looks a little vulgar.

I had such a blast!

Who wouldn't be exhilarated after spending a weekend surrounded by personable, well-trained, well-bred, unbelievably gorgeous horses?

I'd love to go into detail about what a perfect weekend this was, but it's 9pm at night right now, and I am exhausted.

So without further ado, meet some of Bunnygal's herd:

First off, here's Rocky the Stallion (aka Rocky the Ninja horse ):





Rocky is sweet.




Rocky is handsome.





Rocky makes me drool a little.



Actually, Rocky makes me want to turn into a backyard breeder and throw dozens of in-season mares into Rocky's pen with him.


I'm sure Rocky wouldn't mind that at all.


At any rate, Bunnygal is a very conscientious breeder, so even though Rocky's seven (eight? I forget), he only has one foal on the ground.

Two years ago Bunnygal bred her mare, Miss Pal to Rocky.



She looks an awful lot like a palomino, doesn't she? Well, she's not. Bunnygal had told me that she suspected Miss Pal of being a dunalino, despite her coloring being listed as palomino on the registration. I kind of shrugged when she said that. I mean... does it really matter?

Well, when you breed a palomino to a sorrel stallion and end up with a stunningly beautiful red roan colt named Willie, apparently it does. Since it's impossible to end up with a red roan colt from a palomino/sorrel cross, Bunnygal had to go through a whole bunch of extra paperwork in order to change Miss Pal's paperwork to her true coloring: dunalino roan.

What do you get when you cross a dunalino roan with a bay roan?

You get a MaryJane:





MaryJane just turned a year, so she's entering into the gawky yearling/2 year old phase. I don't know about you, but I think MaryJane looks gooooooood. She's one of the sweetest fillies I've ever met. She's not pushy or aggressive, but she LOVES being loved on.

Plus--- buckskin roan. It's kind of an eye-catching coloration, don't you think?




She has the neatest mane, too.






Hey, color enthusiasts out there: I know if that mane belonged on a regular bay horse it would be called a silver bay. Is it normal to have a mane like that on a buckskin roan? Or is she technically another color? I get so confused with stuff like that.


Speaking of pretty manes, meet Josie:




Josie is sweet.



Josie is solid. Josie is honest, and good. She's like milk, or whole wheat bread. She's a stubborn horse if you want to actually ride, but as far as just hanging out or trail riding, I've never met her equal. She'd probably plod along pleasantly even if rabid wolves were snapping at her ankles. She's completely unflappable.

The only time I've EVER seen Josie with anything less than a completely sweet, open, friendly expression (like the one above) is with me.

Josie hates me.

No, seriously. She does. I think she was a llama in her past life. We've tried to get along, but for some reason, this mare and I just don't click.

This is a real shame, on a number of levels.

Number one: She's a good size for me, unlike some of Bunnygal's other horses. All the horses are stout enough to carry me, but Josie has a little more leg on her. She's actually the perfect size for me.

Number two: Nobody has spoken for her. Oh, don't get me wrong. She is loved and cared for and ridden regularly. Everyone who rides her loves her, but nobody in Bunnygal's immediate world really LOVES her. I have a bad habit of falling in love with other people's favorites out of Bunnygal's herd. If I could just make it work between Josie and I, I could have a horse that I consider "mine" without stepping on anyone's toes.

Number three: And this is the big one.

Look at this trot:



Yup. It's a trot. It's kind of pretty, but it's not really anything special, right?

WRONG.


That, my friends, is what a non-gaited gaited horse looks like. No, Josie isn't really a gaited horse. But you know what? You can't really tell the difference as far as smooth riding goes. Something about Josie's conformation makes her the Cadillac of horses. Bunnygal's husband jokes about her being the perfect trail horse because you can trot along with a full can of beer and not worry about spilling a drop.

He's not exaggerating, either. That trot is smooooooooth.

So, that's Josie: a gorgeous, bombproof, sweet, obedient, incredibly smooth-riding horse.



And she hates me.

No, okay, she doesn't REALLY hate me.... but she also doesn't really like me. I've probably ridden her around ten times, and each time I crawl off both of us are a little peeved. I don't know what it is, but something about the two us just doesn't click. Nobody else seems to have this problem. Just me. I don't know why, but I do know it's kind of a real shame.

And then, there's Cotton:





Hey, I owe you guys a story about me and Cotton, don't I?


Some other day. It's already getting late.

Anyways, Cotton really is too short for me. I mean, I REALLY should pick on "someone my own size".

It seems kind of mean that I feel so comfortable on short, stubby little Cotton.

But Cotton has a broad back:



And Cotton has a really wide chest:




And Cotton's powerhouse rear end is equally solid:



Every time I stand near Cotton, Sir Mix-a-lot's signature song goes through my mind.


So while Cotton may be too short for me, I don't really worry about it all that much. She's more than solid.

She also has cute little feathers:



When you combine that with her gorgeous forelock, she looks like she just walked off the movie set as an extra for "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron".




She's a total spaz under saddle, but she's also incredibly fun. And sweet.

And look, she poses for pictures!





She's also in-foal to Rocky and due sometime in May of next year. I'm more than a little excited to see what pops out.

Anyways, there's some of the herd. There are a few more, but I'm sunburnt and exhausted, and I need to go waddle in a spread-eagle, obscene way to the bedroom to go to sleep.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger JJ said...

Rocky is one handsome beef cake of a horse! I love that foal's coloring - like a buttermilk buckskin, but Dun??!!??

What a nice herd - I hope you keep us posted on the upcoming foal.

August 9, 2010 at 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Oregon Sunshine said...

Very nice!

What does Rocky do? As in, what was he bred to do? Cows? WP? I'm curious!

I also really love the look of MaryJane. What a gorgeous girl!

August 9, 2010 at 10:51 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Rocky's pretty incredible--- it was just too stinking hot to saddle up that day, so it's a shame I didn't get the chance to get some photos of him under saddle. These photos kind of make him look like he always carries head up in the air, but he has such a gorgeous, natural collected headset under saddle.

Oregon-- I forgot to mention that all of these horses are bred for cutting. They're all Joe Hancock foundation quarter horses. What's interesting is that Hancock bred horses have a reputation for being a bit cold-backed (bucky), but I've never seen anything like that out of Bunnygal's herd.

If you like MaryJane, just WAIT till I get my hands on a photo of Willie, her 1/2 brother. He's one of those horses that stops traffic, and he is also just so INCREDIBLY intelligent. My favorite part about all of Bunnygal's horses is how much they think. It's pretty incredible being able to hop on after they've had 2-3 WEEKS OFF and still feel like you can actually rely on the horse to take care of you. Having a horse remember the training without constant repetitions is still a novel concept to me after my idiot thoroughbred.

I'm trying to slowly get a webpage (or at least a blog!) going for Bunnygal so she can show off her horses, even though she's not really marketing any of them. I'll let everyone know if that actually ever happens.

August 9, 2010 at 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the look of Rocky and what you have to say about his temperament. However, cutting isn't my forte.

We are getting a new mare if she passes her vet check tomorrow. A really sweet Skipper W bred girl. I'd eventually, maybe, perhaps like to breed her to get our next show baby, IF I find the right boy. That's a big IF right there.

She's a nice girl, pretty, dark palomino too. But I need a nice, taller All-Around sort of boy with the right temperament that passes that temperament on to his babies. Also, taller really is a key word. I look silly riding 14.3hh like our Molly.

Still would love to see pics of MaryJane's 1/2 brother. Always love the eye candy!

August 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home